IT Skills: Top 10 Programming Languages for 2021
1 of 11
About a 12 months in the past, InfoWeek printed an inventory of probably the most in-demand programming languages in 2020. For 2021, the lineup of high coding languages contains a variety of acquainted names, however the order has modified a bit.
Many completely different organizations publish lists of well-liked programming languages, however they calculate that reputation in numerous methods. For instance, some take surveys of builders and ask them which languages they like finest. Others analyze job postings to see which expertise employers are trying for, and nonetheless others rely the variety of net searches for completely different languages.
The InfoWeek checklist attracts on a number of completely different lists compiled by different organizations to find out which languages are at the moment probably the most related to enterprise IT. The sources embody the next:
- The Tiobe Index — Updated month-to-month, this checklist counts the variety of programming language net searches on 25 completely different search engines like google and yahoo.
- The PYPL Popularity of Programming Languages Index — Also up to date month-to-month, PYPL is a shorter checklist that counts Google searches for language tutorials.
- RedMonk — This semiannual checklist counts the languages utilized in GitHub repositories and the languages mentioned on Stack Overflow.
- GitHub Octoverse — This annual report surveys the highest languages that seem in GitHub repositories.
- Stack Overflow — The developer web site surveys its customers yearly on their most beloved, dreaded, and wished languages.
- Indeed.com — From time to time, the job posting web site publishes lists of high languages based mostly on job postings, salaries, and profession outlook.
- Coding Dojo — The coding bootcamp publishes an annual checklist based mostly solely on the variety of job postings that point out every language.
This slideshow highlights the highest 10 programming languages, however a pair that fell simply exterior the highest 10 are value point out.
TypeScript, in eleventh place, climbed from seventh to fourth on the GitHub checklist this 12 months, and it additionally ranks extremely on the Stack Overflow, RedMonk, and Indeed.com lists. If it weren’t so low on the Tiobe checklist (50), it will definitely be within the high 10 on this checklist. It can be fascinating to see if it makes it into InfoWeek’s checklist subsequent 12 months.
By distinction, Objective-C, which is at the moment in twelfth place, will virtually definitely not be in InfoWeek’s checklist for 2022. While it was previously the language of alternative for creating iOS apps, Objective-C has been changed and has been slowly sinking within the rankings ever since.
Which programming languages made it to the highest 10 checklist for 2021? Click by our slideshow to seek out out.
Cynthia Harvey is a contract author and editor based mostly within the Detroit space. She has been protecting the expertise business for greater than fifteen years. View Full Bio
1 of 11